World View

A view to those out in the world into our life.

Friday, March 11, 2005

0330

That is what time it is now. We use military time in the hospital, btw. The past few months most of my call has been spent sleepless. I am getting used to it. Does not mean that I like not getting sleep, but I am getting more adjusted to and expect not to get sleep, which makes my call more enjoyable.

I have not experienced a more trying time in my life, especially with my Christian walk, than as I am now in residency. The Intern year is considered the most "brutal" year in all of medicine. We average 80 hours of work a week, mostly because we work at least one if not two 24 hour shifts a week. The tough part about that for me is that I find it hard to wake up early in the morning or stay awake at night to spend time in the Word. You see, I am one of those "wierd" morning people who loves to get up at 5 am when it is quiet and spend time with God. I am missing that this year. A lot.

The hard part of my job is the people I see on a day to day basis. We are called to show Christ's love to the world. I thought I was good at this, but I had never really been tested until this year. I am learning that if I don't go into each day with a Christ-centered focus, I fail. Working in the ER is not easy. We see many patients who abuse the system, who are alcoholics or drug addicts. These are the people who make most people in the ER miserable. But many of these people are living without Christ and are the ones we are called to show love to. It is a HUGE challange. But people do respond.

I had the privilage tonight to pray the sinner's pray with a man. He came in very depressed and somewhat suicidal. After I prayed this prayer with him, he appeared to have an almost instant peace come over him. The healing hand of Jesus is alive today!

This year is making me realize how much more I need to depend on Jesus for my hourly, day to day walk. I trust in Him, but now I am learning what it means to walk with Him. What it means to show love to the unloved. It is not easy, I still fail, but I am beginning to understand. I ask that when you see ER or scrubs or some other "doctor" show, say a simple prayer for me. I may be on call that night and need an extra dose of grace in trying to be salt and light to a lost and dying world.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Wayne said…

    Keep on, man! I wish I had gotten to know you when you were at Grace, but you were leaving about the time we were coming. I will keep you in my prayers, I promise...we need more physicians like you! Keep the focus, run the race, be God's instrument.

    All those folks that abuse the system, need His healing touch as much or more than anyone. Keep on being His hands and feet!

    It is tough being salt and light when we are tired and weary...I'm an early morning person too, but with 4 kids in the house and a hectic work schedule, 5am QTs are a rare event these days. I'm working on a new concept...a DAWG...a Day Alone With God....thinking this might be a better way for me to recharge, refocus, and renew.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home