World View

A view to those out in the world into our life.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Pet Peeve of the Day

Just for the record, thought I'd share one of my latest pet peeves (which Jason deemed blog-worthy). Let me preface this by saying that I have never been a big radio fan b/c 1) you never know what's going to be on, 2) I despise commercials & cheesy jingles, and honestly, 3) there isn't much music worth listening to on most stations. I am a station-surfer just as much as a channel-surfer: I won't settle for a mediocre song if I think there's a better one somewhere else, and could easily spend my whole car ride just station surfing.

So here's my latest radio pet peeve: cheesy Christian versions of popular country songs. Oh my gosh, as soon as I hear one, I immediately cringe and go to my next pre-programmed station. KLRC is the only Christian radio station in our area that plays these awful re-makes. Some examples of perfectly good country songs gone Christian are :

Bless the Broken Road
When I Get Where I'm Goin'
You Raise Me Up (not country, but still Josh Groban is the only one who can really sing it)

Have you heard any others??? Just curious. Now I know the words to these songs can easily relate to God and I'm sure these Christian artists are touched by the words. AND, I'm sure Christian radio stations don't have the rights to play the original songs, so their only choice is to play the cheesy Christian re-mix. So what can you do? Oh well. Guess just keep on station surfing.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i haven't, but one of my pet peeves on klrc is all the artists that are doing remakes of worship songs. i know that's cool and all, but no one can sing them like the originals (i.e. darlene zschech, michael w. smith, ect.) and it gets old....

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I got XM for Christmas. Completely worth it.

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Blogger jlo said…

    I think Cindy and I might have to get XM when we move to DeQueen as there are not a lot of selections for music down there. Did you get the one that you can use in both your car and house?

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Linds said…

    OK I know one Cindy... that Leanne Rhymes song (I need you)... the girl that has turned it Christian just doesn't do the song justice (not like it's my favorite, but I'm with you, sometimes just stick with the original). I have often said "sometimes Christian artists are only singing because they're Christians, not because they're good artists." Drew always laughs at me, but it's true.

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger The Gallaghers said…

    we are SO with you on this....way too much cheese on lots of Christians music stations--the IPOD makes it into our car all the time and the stations are always being surfed...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home