World View

A view to those out in the world into our life.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

my Granny

3 years ago today my Granny passed away from cancer. i still cry b/c of how much i miss her. she and i were very, very close. it kills me that she never got to meet jason, and now oaklee, too. jason would have been her prime target for practical jokes & gag gifts, which was her forte. as most of you know, Oaklee's middle name is Kimberling, which is my Granny's last name, in honor & remembrance of her. If Oaklee has half the spunk & people skills that Granny did, she will be loved everywhere she goes, just like Granny was.

Favorite memories with her... jumping in the lake as soon as we got to their house (they lived on Table Rock Lake in Branson), night fishing, finding "shiny rocks" on the shore, staying up late when i was little and she would give me backrubs and tell me funny stories from her childhood, playing cards (even played strip poker with all her costume jewelry! whose grandma does that?!), playing practical jokes on people, opening my own gag gifts on Christmas of stuff she would find at garage sales, and on & on I could go. I really, really miss her. But I know a reunion is in store when Jesus returns, so I eagerly anticipate that day.

 

 

So I guess I just wanted to say to all of you out there whose grandparents are still alive: treasure them while you can. I think a lot of grandparents can feel forgotten by their grandkids, when a simple phone call from you will make their day. Life is so short, so this is just a challenge to make the most of it and not take anything or anyone for granted. Only God knows how much time we have here...
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    What a wonderful reminder of how precious our time is here and how the people in our lives help make our time here so special! Hope all is well!

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What an awesome tribute and reminder! She sounds like she was an amazing lady who made the most of every minute with her grand-daughter. What great adventures you'll have to tell Oaklee about.
    Love you much,
    Leah Combs

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Cindy- You made tears come to my eyes when you expressed your love for "Granny". I should know
    because I'm her husband . Granny was loved by everyone. Many of her
    friends still tell me how much they
    miss her.
    I always admired her on the first
    day I met her in Cape Girardeau ,Mo. I was in college after WWII . She was finishing courses' at Business College.
    She was a Secretary To the Dean of Men at SEMO .There is never a time
    that I didn't have good times with
    "Granny". Both of us delighted in
    giving a concrete cake to your dad.
    I had about 57 years of a good life
    with a wonderfull wife.
    Love to you for remembering Granny.
    Grandpa Bill

     

Post a Comment

<< Home