World View

A view to those out in the world into our life.

Monday, January 24, 2005

Root Beer

There is nothing like an ice cold root beer in a frozen glass mug. One of my first experiences with this was when I was hiking in Northeastern New Mexico with a group of Boy Scouts around 1990. We had been on the trail for almost a week and hit one of the few cantinas that were on the Philmont Ranch. This one particular cantina had ice cold root beer on tap. It was particulary wonderful since I had been on the trail for a week with nothing but water.

I did not really start drinking (root beer) until my senior year in college. Since then I have found it especially good when I cook BBQ and have several people over. IBC has been the "go-to-guy" mainly b/c of its good taste and ease of access (Wal Mart @ $2.50 per 6). My brother-in-law PK has since exposed me to Stewart's Root Beer and I have had Diamond Bear's (of Little Rock) home brew a couple of times now which is excellent as well (you can actually buy it by the keg from them). I like A&W if it is on tap at one of their stores, otherwise I would rather have IBC.

So, I want to know what is your favorite root beer. I will start compiling a list and maybe even have a sampling party at some point. This may take a while b/c some of these will have to be ordered.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger John Nelson said…

    I'm at a toss up between IBC and Stewart's as my favorite. I guess I would lean toward IBC, since when I think of Stewart's, I think of their fruit flavored beverages (Grape, Strawberry, etc). If you like fruity carbonated beverages, check out the Stewart's lineup. It's remarkable.

    I do have to admit that every now and then, I do get a good `ol hankerin' for Barq's RB. But IBC gets my vote.

     
  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger Brett said…

    IBC, A&W, Barq's... they all pale in comparison. THE BEST Root Beer ever made is a glorious elixir called "Henry Weinhard's". Oh my gosh, this stuff is so good. Unfortunately you can't get it here (it's brewed in Portland, OR). The furthest east I've ever found it is in the Denver area.

    To give you an idea how good this stuff is... I buy a case or two EVERY time I go to Colorado. Then I try to ration it out over the months before I go back to the mountains and can get some more.

     
  • At 7:14 AM, Blogger jlo said…

    I have friends going to Colorado in February. I might have to get them to buy a case? I am very curious about this . You have set a high set of expectations for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home