World View

A view to those out in the world into our life.

Friday, June 10, 2005

Oaxaca Episode III

Please continue to read about our trip here.

Events Lafe did not include:
(1) We pulled the first of many teeth in the clinic at Pueblo Viejo. Dr. Mark Rucker,
Dr. Adam Maass and I all went to the clinic of Dr. Steven Skoch, DDS in Fayetteville "in case" we had any teeth to pull. Well, word got out the gringos were pulling some teeth! It was a lot of fun. We saw some of the worst teeth I have ever seen aside from all the meth users here in NWA. As a side note, you can't judge a book by its cover, but you can tell who a meth user is by looking at their teeth! Don't use meth b/c it messes up your teeth along with the rest of your life. I think we should pull the teeth of all meth users without anesthesia as preventative measure.

We owe a big thank you to Dr. Skoch and his office and to Dr. ANGELica, the local missionary doctor we worked with. She truely is an ANGEL.

(2) While the construction crew was eating rubbery meat, we were eating ants as big as peanuts! Well, maybe not that big but close. They were cooked on a skillet and were considered a delicacy up there. They tasted like chicken....I mean like burnt pop corn kind of. I have video to prove it.

(3) Florentino did actually wake me up as well. I thought I was having a dream in Spanish when I realized there was really a man shouting something really fast in Spanish and acting really scared. All I heard was "hermano" which means brother and diarrhea which means well, you know. I went outside clumsily and heard the distinct sounds of someone having some bowel problems. I asked who it was and if they needed help and Adam said "no, I will be ok".

I went back inside, told Florentino "it's the doctor, he will be ok" and went back to sleep. I would have offered to place my hand on Adam as well but he said he would b eok. I prayed for him, though.

(4) It was pretty hot at night and I had my -400 celcius sleeping bag. Note to self, get a warm weather sleeping bag and bring a sheet. One thing I did do was to sleep in scrubs with socks and a shirt. I tuck everything in to keep the bugs out. Works pretty well and keeps you somewhat warm.

For some reason, I am having trouble loading images onto blogger from my computer. I think it is because of my friggin computer. Gosh, I may have to use my numchuck skills on it.

In 3 weeks this is where I get to go (San Juan). I will tell you more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home