World View

A view to those out in the world into our life.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Weekend Rewind

Friday:
Got insurance for the Tahoe. Tried to go to get registration but decided against waiting behind the 40+ people in line. Decided to drive the Tahoe to meet Kay and Roger to see how she handles.

Cindy and I met my aunt and uncle Roger and Kay in McAlester, OK to eat at Pete's Place, a nice little Italian restaurant (actually in Krebs, OK). This place is unique in that each table is in a private room. Sounds fancy but it is not high priced at all and you don't have to get dressed up, I can attest to that by what I saw people wearing who walked in.

Saturday:
We enjoyed our visit with Kay and Roger and were treated to a wonderfully cooked homemade breakfast on Saturday morning. Thanks again, Kay, it was delicious. We especially enjoyed listening to Roger tell us all about his recent tripS to Rome, Italy.

Noticed gas in Atoka, OK was $2.29, cheapest we have seen thus far. Made mental note to fill er up on the way back. Met my Nanney and Popa (Gaston) at "Mac"Donalds in Atoka, by far the busiest "Mac"Donalds I have ever seen. Mental note, never go there again if it is that busy. Drove to Milburn, OK to meet my third cousin Edsil Osborn.
Edsil is a WWII vet and followed Patton's army through Europe. Would like to talk with him more. Sharpest 90 year old I have ever met other than my late great grandmother Mama Et. After doing some family business, we ate at the BBQ Pit in Madill, OK, further in the middle of nowhere than Milburn. Good baby back ribs that day.

Returned to Fayetteville just in time to see the second quarter of the most disappointing win I have ever witnessed in my life. I guess my expectations were set a little high. I am now not so sure about this season. Either Vandy played really good and Bama did not or maybe Vandy is still good without Cuttler? I am starting to get worried about next week.

After the game, I was surprised with not one but TWO cakes. The first being a "fake cake" which I will post pics on later. Cindy's mother, Kay, had it made and did a good job of ALMOST pulling it off. I picked up the cake to have a pic taken and thought, "this is really a lot lighter than I expected". The wheels of recollection started turning and I remembered the story of a concrete cake being made and decorated for Chuck one year. I saw the snickers on their faces and knew something was up. I hesitantly tried to cut into the cake as they laughed at me not being able to cut well into the styrofoam underneath. They later brought out the real cake, which was very good. I got some great and much needed gifts as well.

Sunday:
Slept in, at a big breakfast at IHOP with Kay and Chuck, returned for a nap, woke up and went to the Rom Apple orchard in Fayetteville, went to prayer meeting, to church, and out to eat with David and Laura Jackson at La Huerta's, then hit the sack early for a good nights rest.

I guess that was long, but just wanted to recap the weekend.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger Brett said…

    I've eaten at Pete's Place many times. My hometown is about 45 minutes from there...

    And we saw gas in Oklahoma City this weekend (we went to the OU game in Norman) as low as $2.24!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home