World View

A view to those out in the world into our life.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Oaxaca Episode V

Click here to read Lafe's novel version (its good)

Last day of clinics. I went back to work in the clinic at Ixtyutla. I had previously worked here the year before the the Seoul Baptist Church team from Houston, TX. I spent most of this day pulling teeth. We owe a huge thanks, once again, to Dr. Skoch for teaching us how to do this.

My input from this day
(1) It was cool to see the pond finished in 2 days. We each got to have a hand in putting the fish in the pond. It is a project, along with the fruit trees, that could have a long lasting impact. Something we could go back and show our kids or grandkids some day "Yeap, 40 years ago I help plant this tree right here".

(2) Speaking of trees, there were some HUGE trees on the trip to Ixtyutla. I know some have to be 200 years old. If one could only hear it tell the stories it has been a part of. Wow, God is Good. "the whole earth is filled with your Glory Lord".

(3) Pulling teeth is no joke. It is Hot, nasty, bloody, painful work. But it helps people in some major ways. We really need to take a dentist or two back next year.

(4) Watching the kids play at Ixtyutla was fun. It is neat to see how the kids don't allow their parents views on life affect them too bad, yet. They really open up and allow us gringos into their lives some.

(5) Inez offered me his shower when he found out we were without water. Actually, Kevin and Laural offered theirs first, but they ran out of water as well. Kevin and Laural are the Canadians translating the Bible into the Mixteco language. They work with Wycliffe. They have a very hard job that requires lots of patience. They have the cutest little girl and the coolest kids (aside from Cooper, Camber, and Cayden of course). It is cool to see how these kids run around and play with the Mixteco kids like that is what they are supposed to do. They have no barriers. A kid is a kid is a kid to them. Bare feet and all. I wish the world was a little more like these missionary kids from Canada.

Back to Inez. God is going to do some awesome things in his life. He is hard working, fears God, and has a good head on his shoulders. I have a pic of he and his family on the wall in my house. I am greatful to him for opening up to me that way, b/c I had the D-train and really needed to get freshened up if you know what I mean.

(6) It is hard to have a lot of God time on a mission trip. I have noticed the missionaries have a hard time making time for some quiet time because of all the work that has to be done. It made me realize how little "be still and know that I am God" I have done lately. I thirst for this right now. The business of the residency life has me yearning to be still before God. Not easy for a driven type A like myself.

Still having computer problems. Will post pics at some point, God willing.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger shauna said…

    i've been enjoying your postings just as much as Lafe's. keep it up.

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    jlo,
    Glad you continue to post. I have enjoyed your posts as well:). Your writing's have made me even more anxious for our church's trip there in July. It sounds like your team did some great work. You truly took Jesus to the people there. I pray we will do the same. I wish we were taking medical staff. That was our initial goal (and my heart's desire),I am a nurse. But we could not get the personel. Hopefully next time.
    Blessings to you! As I told Lafe, write on!

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger jlo said…

    Lynette

    I am excited you found our posts. I am excited that another church so close is a part of what is going on down there. Maybe we could get a group of us together some time to share experiences and come up with ways to help the mission more. Are you affiliated with the guy who runs the OaxaCafe? I am interested in trying to see if we could get one of the coffee shops here in Fayetteville to sell it.

    Also, when is your team going? We have some supplies we were not able to bring (mainly extras from our OB dept.) that I might could send if you all had room. They still may not be able to accept them as weas the case when we went. I do have a lot of extra gloves that someone could possibly pack in their bag and get through customs. You can email me at jasonlofton@gmail.com.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home