World View

A view to those out in the world into our life.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Oaxaca Episodes VII and VIII

OK, so my work schedule has kept me from posting lately. I worked over 100 hours from last Monday to this past Monday morning and I didn't sleep enough in between calls.

Click here to read Lafe's excellent blog on the last two days of our trip.
Episode 7 and Episode 8.

So now my view, which will be much shorter b/c Lafe did such a good job.

Friday, last day at the base. For those of you from Springfield who may be reading this and have never been to the base at Roca Blanca you are in for a treat. Mission trips are supposed to be about roughing it....right? Well, not at Roca Blanca, at least not for some of us. The base is an old hotel that has been converted into some very nice guest quarters right on the edge of the beautiful sandy beaches of the Mexican Pacific coast with an awesome view of the white rock (hence, "Roca Blanca"). The inside of the house is decorated with a great Mexican flavor which gives one the distinct taste of being in Mexico.

Again, for those of you who venture down there, ask someone to take you to Ernesto's to get a Licuado de Mango. These are a wonderful fruit drink composed of frozen mangoes, sugar, vanilla, and milk blended together for smooth tropical drink. One of my favorites.

The fishing trip was once again awesome. If any of you decide to go fishing, ask for Capitan Pato whose boat is the Barricuda. I have now been out with him 3 times and came back with a sailfish each time. If you are to go, you need to go to the fishing authority in Puerto and set this up a day in advance. It cost $30 an hour for the boat, includes gear and most of the time bait. We got to let Aaron Claar catch his first sailfish and biggest fish ever as a sort of bachelors party. Good times were had by all.

One of the coolest things was the dolphins. We saw a school of at least 200-300 dolphin that were praising the Lord. These fish were jumping, spinning, swimming, jumping and spinning. It was awesome and I just thought to myself that these fish are praising God by doing what they were created to do. It was a worshipful experience indeed.

Cindy and I were going to wake up early and jog on the beach. We got the waking up early part down just fine, but since Cindy was throwing up I decided to give her the day off. I was glad Lafe was able to wake me up so I could sit with her and try to help her. I really felt bad for her knowing we had a full day of travel ahead. She was a trooper though. Thanks to Polly and Rick for helping get the IV started, oh and Laura also.

The line in Houston was definetly the longest I have ever seen. We did see who we think was Moses Malone. There were two really tall African American men walking with fishing poles. The older one (Malone, I think) had a walking cast on. This allowed him to avoid the line and skirt right through customs. That got me to thinking. I bet he did that to avoid the lines and to avoid the "people". Since I have access to some medical equipment, I think I am going to try this the next time I am traveling alone. Do you think that is wrong?

I felt more rested on the trip than I had in a long long time. I was praying for refreshment and God delivered. I am back now, feeling as tired as ever and wishing I were in Oaxaca again. I am going to Honduras in a week and may just get some again. God knows my needs better than myself and this trip came out of the blue, was paid for by someone else, and I don't even have to take vacation for it. God is good, despite my lack of consistent time with Him lately.

For any of you from Springfield, I will send a request to our team to be praying for you. I will try to post pics when my computer gets unvirused.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hola Jlo,
    I am sad that your Oaxaca journals have come to an end. They have been very inspiring. I feel like I know you from reading them. Thank you so much for the effort given to get your story out there for me to find:). From the sounds of your work schedule it is quite a sacrifice of little, precious time. I will continue to come back here to see what you're up to.
    El Dios Bendice

     

Post a Comment

<< Home